About The Mic Stand
Regularly held creative development meetups for poets, lyricists and writers. Whether writing for leisure, an amateur or aspiring artiste, sessions are open. Crafting thought and delivery are our areas of focus.
Click any icon to go to section/page. You can also skip to the “About” section to learn more about site features (e.g. Playbook) and event segments (e.g. Exercises).
Prepare for this event. Explore the worksheet.
Click for brief description of what each section features.
Our community is open to all. We’ll be sharing and discussing creatively written and performed content. We’ll be posting assignments and challenges. We’ll give feedback on works shared and suggestions for fine-tuning.
We’re a work in progress but this is our aim.
See recaps of events we’ve hosted. Photos, videos, excerpts from work done at the meet up.
The Mic Stand is designed on a Free, Open and Collaborative model. Our Playbook is an operations manual for persons or groups who wish to start a group of their own based on our model.
Click for brief description of what each segment of The Mic Stand event features.
|Welcome + Role Call||3:30:00 PM||3:40:00 PM||10|
|Exercises||3:40:00 PM||3:50:00 PM||10|
|Watchword||3:50:00 PM||4:05:00 PM||15|
|The Project||4:05:00 PM||4:35:00 PM||30|
|Sounding Board||4:35:00 PM||5:05:00 PM||30|
|Wild Card||5:05:00 PM||5:25:00 PM||20|
|Wrap Up||5:25:00 PM||5:30:00 PM||5|
Welcome + Role Call
Welcome + Role Call
- Committed Participants and other participants register their presence.
- First time participants sign up for future contact (optional).
- Overview of The Mic Stand Model
- Questions / Clarifications
Watchwords are prompts assigned ahead of each meeting for participants to consider. We’re currently doing a series on literary devices to ensure we’re all well acquainted with the devices we use and can have a fluent conversation about them. We intend for this exercise to help us integrate into our creative toolkit, those we’re not yet familiar with.
- “Exercises” are mini challenges meant to hone specific skills and to challenge participants to get comfortable outside their comfort zone.
- “Exercises” target (for improvement) thinking, delivery and overall creativity.
- There are both individual and collaborative activities.
- Code Switching
In the Sounding Board Segment, participants share pieces they’ve been working on. These can be unfinished pieces. They can be experiments with new styles.
- Pieces are presented and general (see checklist) and/or specific feedback is invited by the participant so as to be able to extract as much value as possible. Ideas may be solicited for:
- Interpretations, etc.
Wild Card Challenges
Wild Card Challenges
- Wild Cards are on-the-spot challenges, either writing or delivery based.
- These challenges are meant to draw out capacity from participants, pushing them to:
- About what they do not usually write.
- How they do not usually write.
- Faster than they usually write.
- Craft/refine their work faster than usual.
- At the extents of their comfort zone.
- Challenge them to become more with greater versatility.
- Expand their range of strengths.
- Be inspired to push harder as they see development in themselves and their peers.
- 5 Card Draw
Wrap Up + Announcements
- Wrap Ups bring the event to an official close.
- Announcements are made, like:
- Future plans
- Updates and announcements e.g. venues
- Assignment of roles and responsibilities
Find out what you missed with event recaps including, activities and snapshots.
Events by Date (Latest to oldest):
Note: “The Mic Stand” was formerly “De Taxi Stand”.
- De Taxi Stand Workshop | 2018 June 24th (6/24/2018)
- De Taxi Stand Workshop | 2018 June 17th (6/17/2018)
- De Taxi Stand Workshop | 2018 June 10th (6/10/2018)
- De Taxi Stand Workshop | 2018 June 03rd (6/3/2018)
- De Taxi Stand Workshop | 2018 May 27th (5/27/2018)
- De Taxi Stand Workshop | 2018 May 20th (5/20/2018)
- De Taxi Stand Workshop | 2018 May 13th (5/13/2018)
- De Taxi Stand Workshop | 2018 May 06 (5/6/2018)
- Download high resolution photos from events
- Download videos of your performance at the event
- Access Facebook Group
- Get updates about De Taxi Stand